FSSC 22000 Certification scheme is to develop the requirements for certification bodies (CBs), implement and manage a system for the evaluation and certification of the food safety systems of food production organizations and to ensure the impartiality and competence. The certificate indicates that the organizations food safety system is in accordance with the requirements which are given in this scheme and that the organization is capable of in order to maintain compliance with these requirements. It is not a guarantee for the implementation of food safety organization continuously. It added to an organization with a certified food safety system value lies in the efforts of the organization to that system and its commitment to maintain performance continuously improves.
FSSC 22000 certification scheme is designed for the control and certification of food safety systems of food manufacturers that produce:
- Perishable animal products, excluding slaughter and pre-slaughter (i.e. meat, poultry, eggs, dairy and fish products)
- Perishable vegetable products (i.e., packed fresh fruits and fresh juices, preserved fruits, packaged fresh vegetables, preserved vegetables)
- A product with a long shelf life at room temperature (i.e., canned products, biscuits, snacks, oil, drinking water, drinks, pasta, flour and sugar, salt)
- Bio-chemical products for the food manufacturing (i.e. vitamins additives and bio-cultures) but excluding technical and technological aids
FSSC 22000 Certification was developed by FSSC Consultancy provided by Global Certification Consultancy, and Steering Committee consisting of food safety experts from the representative international food manufacturers, experts from a number of international certification bodies, a representative of the Confederation of the food and beverage industry.
Processing steps provided by FSSC 22000 Consultancy for quick implementation are as follows
- Identify, evaluate and food safety hazards that may be expected to act to prevent the consumer directly or indirectly damage control
- Communicate the correct information via the food chain with respect to the safety issues with regard to the product
- Communicate information on the development, implementation and updating of the food safety management system throughout the organization
- Evaluate periodically and update, if necessary, the food safety management system to cover the actual operations of the company and the latest information about the dangers of food safety
How FSSC 22000 Consultancy helps Organization to lead their business
- A powerful management system is offered as part of Consultancy for FSSC 22000 Food Safety Management System, fully integrated into the overall management system of the company and in accordance with other standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- Improving a robust “Hazard Analysis and Risk Management” methodology based on HACCP principles and ability to food safety effectiveness and efficiency
- The use of a detailed guideline, ISO/TS 22002-1, regarding the requisite programs, as requested need the ISO 22000 and the assembly of the retailers for the due diligence and related matters.
What is FSSC 22000 Certification?
FSSC 22000 is a new food safety certification scheme based on the existing internationally recognized standard ISO 22000. The FSSC 22000 Food Safety Management System provides a framework for effectively managing your organization’s food safety responsibilities. FSSC 22000 demonstrates robust Food Safety Management System in place that meets the requirements of your customers and consumers.
About FSSC 22000 Certification
The FSSC System was designed to provide companies in the food industry with an ISO based FSMS certification. FSSC 22000 Certification provides worldwide recognition and acceptance by food manufacturers and retailers. The FSSC 22000 system uses a management systems approach to food safety, using ISO 22000 for the management system requirements and ISO Technical Standards. The food safety management system integrates nicely with other management systems such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
While the first editions of FSSC 22000 only applied to food manufacturers, the scope has been extended to only for packaging, through including the new technical specification users can able to provide pre-requisite program and design requirements for food safety in the manufacture and provision of food packaging. After words FSSC further expand the scope to manufacturers of animal feed in the future, and are ready for scopes for additional sectors in the food industry as soon as technical requirements are developed.
Key Areas that Keep in Mind while Implementing FSSC 22000 Systems
Identify, assess and control risks to food security that can be expected to occur in order to avoid harming the consumer directly or indirectly
- Communication for appropriate information through the food chain regarding safety issues related to the product
- Communicate information concerning development, implementation and updating of the food safety management system throughout the organization.
- Periodically evaluate and update, if necessary, the food safety management system to cover the actual activities of the company and the latest information on the risks of food safety.
- Development, implementation and certification of a food safety management system are a continuous journey of the independent audit representing one element of the process of total assessment.
Numerous deadly outbreaks over the past few years, such as E. coli and nitrobacteria, have created a groundswell of demand for increased food safety processes. That outcry is being answered by the implementation of stricter standards and the Food Safety Modernization Act.
The Global Food Safety Initiative was launched in 2000 with the aim of benchmarking existing and new standards to form pragmatic food safety tips that universally recognized. All GFSI approved Food safety standards address distinctive and managing food hazards and risks, traceability through food distribution channels, and implementing effective ways for food recall once issues detected. These Food safety system standards apply not solely to growers and food suppliers, however additionally to each step of the worldwide food offering chains. The goal is to stop contaminated food from reaching shoppers and to quickly recall spoiled merchandise whereas distinctive and correcting the supply of any downside.
GFSI supported standards presently embrace Safe Quality Foods, like British Retail Consortium (BRC), the International Food standard ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 for food safety management system. Every addresses completely different markets and desires. All build on a Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) platform designed to spot and management food hazards and contamination risks. In North America, BRC and FSSC 22000 are the foremost well-liked standards.
The U.S Congress has additionally undergone the necessity for stricter safety controls. The USDA is modification its police investigation of meat and poultry suppliers, processors and distributors. Moreover, the Food Safety Modernization Act passed in 2011 provides the agency broad authority to ascertain and enforce safety laws for each domestic and foreign product. This includes the authority to mandate food remembers. It acknowledges the work accomplished by the GFSI and is functioning closely therewith organization.
Food retailers and major food provider chains aren’t looking ahead to government regulation. Wal-Mart, Costco, CVS, Safeway, Shop-Rite and Target already requiring their suppliers to attain certification to a GFSI approved standard. Growers, providers, processors, packagers, and distributors creating up the food offer chain United Nations agency fail to pass freelance audits and maintain their Food Safety certifications could realize themselves latched out of the market.
Both shoppers and participants within the international food supply chain have the benefit of the implementation and social control of standards food safety. Food borne sicknesses reduced and outbreaks quickly controlled. Suppliers scale back their prices by eliminating waste, avoiding re-work and packaging errors, and reducing liability. It’s a win-win state of affairs.